Register

Previous owner of Cell Phone Number

Doo-hickeys, hacks, asteroids, spaceships, rocketmen, and sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!
The X-Man Cometh

Previous owner of Cell Phone Number

Postby Xenon » August 4th, 2014, 9:47 pm

Ok, so my wife's cell phone USED to belong to a real deadbeat ....

so now she is getting call after call ...
from this collection agency and that collection agency.
from the courts in this town issuing a summons and the courts in some other town.
from person after person trying to track him down.

Is there ANYTHING we can do at this point?
Can we register the number with someone somewhere that says "THIS is not his number anymore!!" ... sort of like the no call lists or anything.

Or do we just call the phone company and request a new number ... and hope that it was a sweet little grandma who had that number before

His Noliness

Re: Previous owner of Cell Phone Number

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » August 5th, 2014, 7:24 am

I would call the phone company and request a new one.
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

Postby Chief » September 3rd, 2014, 2:30 am

I would have some fun with this!

"He works for XXX Collection Agency now, here's his office # <insert other collection agency #>"
"He got a janitorial job, his work # is <insert court>"
"I really can't give you information on his whereabouts now that he's working with the police department"

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » February 17th, 2015, 4:46 pm

My work issued me a new phone when I started here 13 months ago. Not long after I got it, I got texts and calls from various people looking for the previous owner. No real issues, often it was his aunt or grandma who was texting him. Funny that the guy never told all of these people he has a new number. One day, I got a text from some girl whom he had been introduced to at a bar and they had mutual friends. She got the number from a friend. She was a player becuase it didn't take long for the texts to turn to sexts. I shut that down fairly quickly, no need for a divorce over something stupid. :lol: I still get texts every once in a while and I just go with them. I probably shouldn't have shut down that one girl as she was very attractive, especially lying in a tanning booth. ;)
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

Don't bite me, you little @#$%!

Postby DiehardLonghornFan » February 19th, 2015, 8:12 am

I've had the same cell phone number for over ten years now, but I still on occasion get phone calls from bill collectors trying to find the previous owner of the number. I mean, really, ten years later and you're still trying to collect on a debt? Not gonna happen.
HOOK 'EM!

Return to High-Tech Wonderland and Site Info