Register

How has your business been over the last few years?

Discuss jobs, be they public or private sector. Looking for a job or for some advice? Need some investment tips or have some to share? This is the place.
Don't bite me, you little @#$%!

How has your business been over the last few years?

Postby DiehardLonghornFan » August 22nd, 2013, 3:36 pm

I figured SOMEBODY had to open this forum. My business has been extremely flat the past three years - virtually no growth. After opening my office in 2005, we had 10 - 15 % growth every year until 2011, and maybe 2-3% growth per year since if any at all.
HOOK 'EM!

The Unimpeachable Source

Re: How has your business been over the last few years?

Postby irishmark » September 13th, 2013, 9:17 pm

DiehardLonghornFan wrote:I figured SOMEBODY had to open this forum. My business has been extremely flat the past three years - virtually no growth. After opening my office in 2005, we had 10 - 15 % growth every year until 2011, and maybe 2-3% growth per year since if any at all.

Do I really have to tell you?
Motivation is simple! You eliminate those that are not motivated!

Lou Holtz

The X-Man Cometh

Re: How has your business been over the last few years?

Postby Xenon » January 13th, 2018, 11:17 am

I see it has been years since this was posted ..... but ...

I'm not "in business" per se.... but I can give you my perspective...

In 2013, I think things were HORRIBLE .... we had 1/4 of the local mall EMPTY. Lots of going out of business signs everywhere.
2014 - 2016 or so looked about the same. Nothing much happening. Locally we had alot of stores close up shop. The little strip mall around the corner from us was essentially completely empty (One store ... selling consignment furniture, just using space since they had every "pod".

In 2017, I think things are looking better for the most part.... Some new construction going on, some new stores, etc.

BUT I have to say, Northern New Mexico looks precarious to be honest. Yeah, the big mall in Santa Fe has most stores "occupied" now, and did a huge remodel in 2017, but all the stores look "iffy" to me. Specialty stores catering to very small niche markets, and everything with with "20% off" "50% off" "80% off" banners. And the smaller towns north of Santa Fe look REALLY REALLY bad. The poor little towns are being even more and more left behind.

I travel for work to California, Washington DC, Florida, Kansas City, etc... I think Washington DC looks like it is doing JUST FINE. TONS of construction going on. Kansas City looks like they are doing well as well. Florida Panhandle looks to be doing pretty well as well (but I was there in off season so it looks "downish" but overall looked like in it was doing fine "in season".) Texas looked like it was doing really really well when we went through.

I think the split is getting worse. Poor areas with bad education and weak economies (inner cities, North New Mexico, etc) are getting worse. Middle america as I saw it looks to be getting better. WashingtonDC is doing disgustingly well.

Return to Business and Careers