Register

SPOILER SPOILER --- Force Awakens --- SPOILER SPOILER

Literature, music, movies, TV, games, whatever! Use this forum for all creative outlets.
The X-Man Cometh

SPOILER SPOILER --- Force Awakens --- SPOILER SPOILER

Postby Xenon » December 23rd, 2015, 7:53 pm

We should have a thread for SPOILERS .... but I wanted it really really advertised that it is spoilers ....

SPACE

The X-Man Cometh

Re: SPOILER SPOILER --- Force Awakens --- SPOILER SPOILER

Postby Xenon » December 23rd, 2015, 8:01 pm

OK, so whose kid do you think Rey is .....

My Daughter says Luke's .... but somehow that feels wrong to me ...

What ... Luke takes his kid, drops her off on a desert planet with nothing ... since that worked out SOOO well with Anikin and with Luke himself!!
Sorry, that is too hard to swallow for me .... I hope that isn't were they are going ...

SO ... if not that ... is she Anikin again ... somehow just was born? That was weak in the first movie, I hope they don't do it again ...

I'm wondering if she is somehow a niece or something .... Anikin's Mom married, and had "Uncle Owen" right ... maybe there is another Uncle or Aunt, and Rey is from that line somehow.

---

OH, and I called it on Ren .... I guessed who his is related to from the previews .... probably lots of others did as well.

---

I LOVED BB-8 .... Now that is a truely all-terrain droid. It was always hard to buy R2-D2 in the sand, in the swamp, in the forest, etc etc etc and still getting around. I guess the jets they gave him in 1-2-3 make is slightly more believable.... BUT BB-8 .... he could clearly and believably get around anywhere ...

I got to believe that a bunch of robot nerds all over the country are saying ... "How do I build me a BB-8?" ....

Ack! Ththbbthttbt!

Postby Willie the Wildcat » December 23rd, 2015, 9:53 pm

It would be great if Rey is "...Sister.." to Ben/Kylo. A nice counter plot to the original Luke/Leia. The ages are wrong, however. If there was a greater age difference, she could have been sent off when Ben turned...she would have been very young which fits with the brief flashback sequence. And that would be a hell of a "disturbance in the Force" when she recovers that memory.

So probably more along the lines of either your first or last thought. Spontaneous mitichloridian generation is about the worst of the worst plot devices.

Or, there is a real man as Anikin's father, and there's actually a whole 'nother branch of that family tree out there.
Last edited by Willie the Wildcat on December 24th, 2015, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ack! Ththbbthttbt!

Postby Willie the Wildcat » December 23rd, 2015, 10:06 pm

I think there is also some setup to be a relation to Han's. Her acceptance by Chewie, instant familiarity with the Falcon, the presence of the Falcon in the first place on the same planet. There's even the Leia/Rey hug at the end - this is the first time they've seen each other and you would think Leia would be consoling Chewie - who just walks on by.

One could argue that Han is somewhat Force sensitive - he's had several no look blaster shots, and his roguish charm that gets him out of trouble. Something along the lines of a "squib" in Harry Potter parlance: not magical directly, but aware and intune with it on a rudimentary level and it smiles on him now and then.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » February 15th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Ok, we finally found the time to go to a movie and saw this. I really enjoyed it, although there are times, just like in Episode IV where there is no action and the scenes kind of drag on. Also, aren't the father/son, sister/brother, ... connections a little to easy? They aren't very creative, although maybe they are inevitable. Due to circumstances, we saw it in 3D. I liked seeing it that way but it gave my wife a terrible headache.

As to who is Rey's parents, we saw a brief hint in the flashbacks she had upon touching Annikan's/Luke's light sabor. It wasn't a lot and I would like to see it again to see if I can catch more, but they clearly gave some clues in there. By saying that her parents are never returning, there is a clue that the parents are dead (I'm not sure why else they wouldn't return for her unless she is Luke's and he wanted her hidden). Also, the flashback showed her parents (or possibly just her mom) being taken away. That means if she is Luke's, then he left her with her mom or they gave her to foster parents to raise (I agree that would be lame if they did that yet again). For some reason however, I don't think she is Luke's. Her powers generated too fast after she started testing them. There is only one Jedi that had powers that were so strong and could possibly have developed so quickly after she discovered them and that is Yoda. I know it's far fetched, but I wonder if she is some relative of his. Also, the lady that ran the watering hole (she was my favorite new character, I loved her) seemed to know a lot about Rey and her past. She spoke of seeing her eyes before. I'm not sure if she is directly or indirectly involved with Rey, but somehow she will end up having some connection to her and her past.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » February 16th, 2016, 12:08 pm

Willie the Wildcat wrote:I think there is also some setup to be a relation to Han's. Her acceptance by Chewie, instant familiarity with the Falcon, the presence of the Falcon in the first place on the same planet. There's even the Leia/Rey hug at the end - this is the first time they've seen each other and you would think Leia would be consoling Chewie - who just walks on by.

One could argue that Han is somewhat Force sensitive - he's had several no look blaster shots, and his roguish charm that gets him out of trouble. Something along the lines of a "squib" in Harry Potter parlance: not magical directly, but aware and intune with it on a rudimentary level and it smiles on him now and then.

I agree with you Willie that they sure hinted to something along these lines. Chewie accepting her right away implies something. He didn't like Luke when he first met him back in IV, so her being Luke's would be contrary to that. As to your second point, I think that his no look blaster shots and roguish charm are just a part of his personality and the cockiness he has always had rather than being sensitive to the force. That's just who he is.

I did like the selection of Daisy Ridley as Rey. I thought she was perfect for the part. I hated the selection for Po. I don't like his character much. And the dialogue between Po and Finn was awful, in my opinion. I liked Finn in every scene except those with Po. Finn was a good choice, but they didn't nail it like they did with Rey.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » December 20th, 2016, 3:31 pm

After Han's death, the first person Leia goes to is Rey. She walks right by Chewie to console Rey.

Food for thought.
"I don't care if Pat Terrell is so wide open, you could walk up and hand him the football! Take the sack"!

Lou Holtz to Tony Rice.

Return to Arts & Entertainment