Register

ESPN lays off over 300 people ....

Literature, music, movies, TV, games, whatever! Use this forum for all creative outlets.
The X-Man Cometh

ESPN lays off over 300 people ....

Postby Xenon » October 27th, 2015, 8:53 pm

I'm not sure exactly where to put this thread ... we'll try here ....

ESPN cut a bunch of people, because they are not making the profits they used to make. Their revenues from cable and satellite are evidently dropping, with the number of cable cutters growing.

I find it interesting that they just signed a 10 year BILLION dollar contract with the NBA, and then have to cut 300 jobs to get back a few million dollars in profit. The Billion+ contract with the NBA seems absurd to me.

ESPN is the most expensive network in most cable lineups ... and as more and more people flinch at the cable bill, I think ESPN is going to have to figure out a different model. I can't see Billion Dollar contracts working if their carriage fee revenue is going down. I don't know when or if cable is going to die ... but it sure seems like alot of people are predicting it.

And ESPN seems remarkably dumb about it ... So we tried SLING for a week or so. I HATED IT. ESPN on SLING was completely useless ... no pause, no rewind, no nothing. Very limited rebroadcasts, and they had very limited controls for fast forward or pause. SLING had all that on every other channel, so it was just ESPN that killed the playback controls ... a choice by ESPN to put out an inferior product for some reason.

I think ESPN looks like they are in a bit of trouble right now, and they don't seem to have a viable plan to get out of it.

The X-Man Cometh

Re: ESPN lays off over 300 people ....

Postby Xenon » October 28th, 2015, 6:37 am

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour ... /ESPN.aspx

All the contacts pointed to a combination of skyrocketing rights fees and deep distribution cuts that put ESPN in the position where it had to shed about 4 percent of the company’s workforce.

“The cost of goods is going up and sales are going down,” one longtime industry executive observed. “That’s not a good trend.”

“We overpaid significantly when it did not need to be that way, and it set the template to overpay for MLB and the NBA.”

ESPN doubled its annual payment for MLB to an average $700 million per year — a deal that gives ESPN just one playoff game per year. And next year, ESPN’s NBA deal takes effect. That’s the one that will see its average annual payout triple in cost to an average of $1.4 billion per year.

The NBA contract is the one I really find hard to believe ....

absolutely no allegiance to anyone

Postby Eric » November 3rd, 2015, 12:02 am

I always thought a secondary cable network (TNT, USA, etc) could do very well for itself by setting up a separate sports network (USA Sports for example) and focusing purely on college sports, and only the ones that really seem to matter enough where ad revenues could be generated. That would be football and basketball, and given its recent rise in popularity, women's basketball. Steal some very good announcers from the other networks and make this your year-around focus and I think you would have the viewership. Of course, you would have to come up with the hundreds of millions that would allow you to bring those games to your network, but at least you wouldn't be spending hundreds of millions on other sports that generate little if any income, and you wouldn't have hundreds of supposed sports analysts taking up chunks of your payroll.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » December 2nd, 2015, 5:03 pm

*YNC* Eric wrote:I always thought a secondary cable network (TNT, USA, etc) could do very well for itself by setting up a separate sports network (USA Sports for example) and focusing purely on college sports, and only the ones that really seem to matter enough where ad revenues could be generated. That would be football and basketball, and given its recent rise in popularity, women's basketball. Steal some very good announcers from the other networks and make this your year-around focus and I think you would have the viewership. Of course, you would have to come up with the hundreds of millions that would allow you to bring those games to your network, but at least you wouldn't be spending hundreds of millions on other sports that generate little if any income, and you wouldn't have hundreds of supposed sports analysts taking up chunks of your payroll.

I think you are describing Fox Sports.
Make GASF Great Again!

Return to Arts & Entertainment