Register

The Imitation Game

Literature, music, movies, TV, games, whatever! Use this forum for all creative outlets.
The Straw That Stirs the Drink

The Imitation Game

Postby Iconoclast » March 30th, 2015, 2:22 pm

Saw this on a plane last week. It was really interesting, although the director and producer seemed to think his oppression as a gay man was as, if not more, important, than solving the enigma code. I never thought of the code breaking being so important. I remember the accounts of us obtaining the enigma machines, but didn't realize we then had to break the damn code to understand what settings to use. After spending time in DC and going to the Smithsonian's, you have to admit the German's were really ahead of the rest of the world in their technology in WWII. We are so lucky that they didn't get jet propulsion in aircraft a couple years earlier than they did, or else it might not have been a good turnout for the Allies.
Last edited by Iconoclast on April 1st, 2015, 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Make GASF Great Again!

Ack! Ththbbthttbt!

Re: The Imitation Game

Postby Willie the Wildcat » April 1st, 2015, 9:16 am

Iconoclast wrote:.... We are so lucky that they didn't get jet propulsion in aircraft a couple years earlier than they did, or else it might not have been a good turnout for the Allies.

You always hear some combination of:
  • Hitler's favorites: Panzers! U-Boats! Then Rockets!
  • Intentional slowdowns by scientists and engineers - although always generally corroborated by each other.
  • Sabotage by slave labor.
  • Skilled pilot shortages due to losses from the war - and also early testing of the jets.

A space museum near me, The Cosmosphere, has an entire section on German war rocketry, complete with a restored genuine V1 and V2. The V2 even had some inscription from slave workers buried in its internal components.

An interesting counter measure that is noted for the V1 = British pilots attempted to intercept and match speed, close in, and attempt to flip the wing of the V1 to send it off course. With its fuel, explosive payload, and small size it was generally though to be too risky to the pilot to try a shoot down.

For the V2, the British determined that the German's were using basic homing on British radio transmitters to determine the V2s terminal phase. To counter that, the British relocated the transmitters further west of London so that the V2s would fly "long" and terminate in less dense areas.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » April 1st, 2015, 3:10 pm

WTW - you sound like you've done a lot more reading and researching than I have so I yeild to your knowledge. I do know that we were very lucky that for whatever reason, the Nazis didn't get rockets operational as a means to fire warheads and they didn't get jet engine powered airplains operational. Otherwise, I don't know what the world would look like today.

Also, as an aside, apparently a sniper (I believe US) had a young Adolf Hitler in his sights in WWI and didn't pull the trigger. Imagine if he had.
Make GASF Great Again!

Postby luckyben » December 18th, 2015, 4:43 am

pretty awesome god damn movie!

Return to Arts & Entertainment