Register

Channel Websites requiring Cable/Sat subscription....

Literature, music, movies, TV, games, whatever! Use this forum for all creative outlets.
The X-Man Cometh

Channel Websites requiring Cable/Sat subscription....

Postby Xenon » January 25th, 2015, 7:12 pm

So ... lots of website for channels are moving to requiring you to log on with a Cable/Sat subscription in order to see shows that they used to stream ....

WatchABC, Cartoon Network, TNTDrama, CBS, etc.... just a couple of examples ....

I have to say, I don't understand that .....

I understand that those channels need money to make their shows ...

But explain to me how requiring a pay tv subscription makes them money in the end....

If I decide not to pay for Dish anymore, then Cartoon network and TNT Drama don't get anymore money from me.

IF they let me go to their site and watch the shows, they get banner ad revenue, they can embed some ads in the show, and they get revenue from that.
IF they DON'T let me go to their site and watch the shows, they get nothing.

I understand they would much rather I pay the $75 to $200 to Dish or Comcast, but the all or nothing approach doesn't make sense to me.
Isn't Banner ad revenue and in-show ad revenue better than NOTHING?

It makes even LESS sense for ABC and CBS. They are broadcasting the show over the air for free to start with. I can watch that ... with in-show ads.
If they block out going to their site to watch shows, they get absolutely nothing ... no cable/sat fee, no in-ad revenue, no banner ad revenue, nothing.

I don't understand the all or nothing approach on this ... We want the big bucks of the cable/sat fee or nothing. It seems that "nothing" is going to more and more the answer to that question.

And that doesn't even touch the question of "illegal" sites that are everywhere .... and they better figure out how to get SOMETHING out of the cable cutters ....

It makes no sense to me to be so "all or nothing" on this ....

The Unimpeachable Source

Re: Channel Websites requiring Cable/Sat subscription....

Postby irishmark » January 26th, 2015, 11:42 pm

On the Internet the local ads aren't played.

The local affiliates need the ad revenue and they lose money when you watch on the Internet.
"I don't care if Pat Terrell is so wide open, you could walk up and hand him the football! Take the sack"!

Lou Holtz to Tony Rice.

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » March 7th, 2015, 11:04 am

But the all or nothing approach still makes no sense .... regardless of if it is local or national.

Local ABC affiliate needs to make some money ... I agree.

IF I subscribe to Dish or Comcast, they get the local in-show ads and some fraction (I would guess) of the carriage fees.

IF I don't subscribe to Pay-TV, they lose the carriage fees, which is a lot of money for them, but they still get in-show ads IF and only IF I still watch the show somewhere.

If I don't watch the show at all, they get nothing.

It seems to me that their current policies are all driving toward "Nothing". That is the part I just don't get.

---

I'll give two specific examples .....

We just cancelled Dish ... so all those stations from local ABC to TNT to Cartoon Network lost our carriage fees.

At the end of our time with Dish, the kids were into a show on Cartoon Network called "Ninjago", and as a Family we were watching TNT's "Librarians".

We lost access to both shows when we dropped Dish.

We looked for options for "Ninjago" for the kids, but found none. Cartoon didn't stream unless you had a Dish Network account. After a bit of a fuss, the boys rapidly found that we had access to hundreds of hours of "Power Rangers" (in a dozen or more variations - Power Rangers Space, Power Rangers Jungle Fury, etc etc etc) which they found basically to be the same for them. Now we they watch Power Rangers in the afternoons, through Amazon Prime, and I assume the Power Rangers franchise gets some money from Amazon. Cartoon Network and the Ninjago franchise gets nothing.

We also looked for options for Librarians. TNT has a strange streaming policy, and we could see some episodes but not others. We watched what we could, then found the last episode on YouTube of the season. I suspect that there is a new season coming up sometime, but since we can't see anything on the TNT website, and don't ever go there anymore to see when it might start, we will never see another episode of Librarians (unless they decide to put it on Netflix or Amazon Prime), and TNT gets nothing.

We also like Castle and Once Upon a Time. We get those now mostly from OTA on a DVR. So, we see in-show ads (that we are interested in and fast forward through the others) and ABC gets SOME revenue from us, both Local and National, depending on their in-show ad contracts. They don't get as much from us as the used to, but the get something. We watched an episode or two on the ABC website, but they don't let you fast forward through the ads, so we stopped doing that in most cases.

So ABC makes their shows available over OTA and streaming, and get SOME money from us, while Cartoon Network and TNT don't make their shows available, and they get nothing.

The one that I find interesting is HBO. HBO was always a subscription service (pay them directly). We never were interested and never payed them money ... so we never saw any of those "award winning" HBO dramas (that we honestly had no interest in), and HBO never got any money from us. NOW, HBO is putting many of those shows on Amazon Prime (and getting money from Amazon I would assume). So HBO is going the streaming route to get some money from streamers who don't have cable (HBO original home), while TNT and Cartoon network are NOT getting any money from streamers who don't have cable.

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » September 16th, 2015, 10:17 am

These networks will wake up.

Netflix is forcing that. I have Netflix and HBO on my iPad.

Soon others will join.

I pay a monthly fee using iTunes.
"I don't care if Pat Terrell is so wide open, you could walk up and hand him the football! Take the sack"!

Lou Holtz to Tony Rice.

Return to Arts & Entertainment