Register

Can American Pharoah win the Triple Crown?

NASCAR Sprint Cup, Nationwide Series, Indy Racing, it's all good in the racing forum. Hell, Motorcycle, Dog, and Horse Racing are welcome too.
The Curmudgeon

Can American Pharoah win the Triple Crown?

Postby Domer » May 4th, 2015, 8:12 am

Well, of course he can. The real question is do you think he will

There is a reason its been 37 years since anyone did it. Its very difficult to do. I think there are 3 other horses that are close to him in ability. If they all stay in it for all 3 races, the odds are that one of them will beat him eventually. Since they are so close in ability, all it would take is for American Pharoah to have some bad racing luck for one of them to beat him.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Artist FKA SECRules

Re: Can American Pharoah win the Triple Crown?

Postby MikeTheTiger » May 4th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Domer wrote:Well, of course he can. The real question is do you think he will

There is a reason its been 37 years since anyone did it. Its very difficult to do. I think there are 3 other horses that are close to him in ability. If they all stay in it for all 3 races, the odds are that one of them will beat him eventually. Since they are so close in ability, all it would take is for American Pharoah to have some bad racing luck for one of them to beat him.

I've seen speculation that Frost might sit out the Preakness and come back fresh for the Belmont. With fresh legs and his closing speed at the longer distance, he'd be hard for American Pharaoh to beat. That's what's gotten several hopefuls in the Belmont. It doesn't quite seem fair, but I don't know what you do about it.

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » May 5th, 2015, 6:49 am

MikeTheTiger wrote:I've seen speculation that Frost might sit out the Preakness and come back fresh for the Belmont. With fresh legs and his closing speed at the longer distance, he'd be hard for American Pharaoh to beat. That's what's gotten several hopefuls in the Belmont. It doesn't quite seem fair, but I don't know what you do about it.

That's right. I didn't even think about that possibility. There has been a lot of complaint lately about a horse or horses sitting out a race and then coming back for the Belmont. Like you, I don't know what they an do about it, but it really isn't fair.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » May 17th, 2015, 9:14 am

Well, American Pharoah is still alive to win the triple crown. He looked very impressive in the slop at the Preakness.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » May 18th, 2015, 8:36 pm

Domer wrote:Well, American Pharoah is still alive to win the triple crown. He looked very impressive in the slop at the Preakness.

I guess we'll find out if he can hold off a rested Frost and the other fresh horses in the field.

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » May 19th, 2015, 6:45 am

MikeTheTiger wrote:
Domer wrote:Well, American Pharoah is still alive to win the triple crown. He looked very impressive in the slop at the Preakness.

I guess we'll find out if he can hold off a rested Frost and the other fresh horses in the field.

Yeah. As you pointed out before, that really isn't fair.
God, Country, Notre Dame

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » June 6th, 2015, 5:55 pm

Yes, he absolutely can (and in dominating fashion.)
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » June 6th, 2015, 10:39 pm

Domer wrote:
MikeTheTiger wrote:

Yeah. As you pointed out before, that really isn't fair.

I thought Frosted was going to get him heading into the stretch, but he just found another gear. Second fastest Belmont for a Triple Crown winner. Truly a great horse.

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » June 7th, 2015, 10:11 am

Just watched ESPN, to put it in perspective, They said that Secretariat would have beat American Pharoah by 15 lengths.

That's incredible. That is why Secretariat is the greatest race horse of all times.
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » June 8th, 2015, 7:19 am

MikeTheTiger wrote:I thought Frosted was going to get him heading into the stretch, but he just found another gear. Second fastest Belmont for a Triple Crown winner. Truly a great horse.

I had the same thought, but as you said, American Pharoah showed what a great horse he is by drawing off to win.
God, Country, Notre Dame

Next

Return to Racing