Register

Jimmie Johnson eliminated from Chase

NASCAR Sprint Cup, Nationwide Series, Indy Racing, it's all good in the racing forum. Hell, Motorcycle, Dog, and Horse Racing are welcome too.
His Noliness

Jimmie Johnson eliminated from Chase

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » October 20th, 2014, 1:29 pm

along with Little Dale, Kasey Kahne, and Kyle Busch.

I think the odds on favorites left are Harvick, Logano, Gordon, and Keslowski. If I had to pick my favorite, as much as I'd like to see Gordon win it all, I would have to pick Keslowski.
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

The Curmudgeon

Re: Jimmie Johnson eliminated from Chase

Postby Domer » October 20th, 2014, 1:52 pm

From the point of view of a casual observer, it sure seems that Keslowski is having a very good year.
God, Country, Notre Dame

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » October 20th, 2014, 1:56 pm

Domer wrote:From the point of view of a casual observer, it sure seems that Keslowski is having a very good year.
The only thing about Keslowski is that had he NOT won at Talladega yesterday, he would have been eliminated. But since he won, he got an automatic pass to the next round, and Kasey Kahne was eliminated.
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » October 20th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Aloha Nole wrote:
Domer wrote:From the point of view of a casual observer, it sure seems that Keslowski is having a very good year.
The only thing about Keslowski is that had he NOT won at Talladega yesterday, he would have been eliminated. But since he won, he got an automatic pass to the next round, and Kasey Kahne was eliminated.

Hmmm. those have got to be some strange rules, there. If he was second he was out, but since he won he got a free pass?
God, Country, Notre Dame

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » October 20th, 2014, 2:58 pm

There were 3 races in the section. A win in any one gives you an automatic pass into the next round.

He did pretty bad in the first two races, getting him to the point that (by points) he was not going to make the cut off.

Prior to that race Earnhardt Jr, Johnson, and Keslowski were all in the same boat, that they needed a win to advance.

So Keslowski won.

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » October 20th, 2014, 3:07 pm

Aloha Nole wrote:Prior to that race Earnhardt Jr, Johnson, and Keslowski were all in the same boat, that they needed a win to advance.

So Keslowski won.

Well, hell, Earnhardt Jr. and Johnson should have thought of that!

Just Kidding.

:P
God, Country, Notre Dame

Postby Michigan Grad » October 20th, 2014, 4:42 pm

IMO, in an effort to emphasize the importance of winning, NASCAR has shot itsself in the foot.
They eliminated 2 of the 4 most popular drivers in all of NASCAR after yesterday's result.
If they hadn't reset the points after the first 3 races, Junior and JJ could've had a shot to move on even without winning the race. Yes, Bad Brad lucked out by winning, but if he hadn't won and was eliminated also, he would have been the driver with the most wins on the season, yet still was eliminated because of a flat tire wrecking him at Dover, and him getting involved in numerous on track scuffles with Hamblin, Kennseth, and Busch at Charlotte in the first 2 races of this segment.

Although he is either loved or hated throughout NASCAR, I have to tip my hat to Brad for a gutsy performance in the crazy last laps. After a great push from his teammate Logano, he was on his own after moving down low to block JJ's momentum and was able to hold off everyone on the last 2 laps, which is very rare at Talledega.

I believe that the chase will come down to Keslowski, Logano, Gordon, and Harvick vying for the title in the last race of the year like you wrote AN. They may have created some added drama to the chase with the new tweeks to the system, but I think that NASCAR will find that just like the baseball playoffs and the hockey playoffs, once their team / driver is eliminated from contention, average and casual fans start to lose interest and eventually stop following until the championship.
Coaching is my passion:
Hockey - Plymouth Canton Hockey Association
Football - Cardinal Mooney High School

Return to Racing