Register

Gordon is looking like a champion these days

NASCAR Sprint Cup, Nationwide Series, Indy Racing, it's all good in the racing forum. Hell, Motorcycle, Dog, and Horse Racing are welcome too.
The Unimpeachable Source

Gordon is looking like a champion these days

Postby irishmark » July 28th, 2014, 2:32 pm

5th Brickyard 400.
“Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty”.

Joseph Goebbells

His Noliness

Re: Gordon is looking like a champion these days

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » July 28th, 2014, 2:35 pm

He has been looking like a Champion all season. Hopefully he can keep it up to win it all this year.
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » September 29th, 2014, 1:53 pm

What do the Brickyard, Dover and the Cup Championship all have in common? The last time Jeff Gordon won each was in 2001... before this year. Is that an omen for the Cup?

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » September 29th, 2014, 2:03 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:What do the Brickyard, Dover and the Cup Championship all have in common? The last time Jeff Gordon won each was in 2001... before this year. Is that an omen for the Cup?

I hope so. He deserves it.
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » September 30th, 2014, 9:25 am

Aloha Nole wrote:
MikeTheTiger wrote:What do the Brickyard, Dover and the Cup Championship all have in common? The last time Jeff Gordon won each was in 2001... before this year. Is that an omen for the Cup?

I hope so. He deserves it.

Agreed. He definitely has the old fire in him this year. He didn't need to win the race on Sunday, but he still drove hard to track down Brad K. The championship really should come down to those two, but this new format is a crap shoot.

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » September 30th, 2014, 9:30 am

MikeTheTiger wrote:Agreed. He definitely has the old fire in him this year. He didn't need to win the race on Sunday, but he still drove hard to track down Brad K. The championship really should come down to those two, but this new format is a crap shoot.

The old Chase format was also crap shoot.

NASCAR has tried everything in their power to ensure that Jimmy Johnson will win it all, even to the point of the tracks that they selected for those final 10 races, and the order in which they appear.

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » September 30th, 2014, 9:50 am

I am a much more casual fan of NASCAR than you two, but I am glad to see Gordon having a good year. I hope he wins it all.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » September 30th, 2014, 10:29 am

Aloha Nole wrote:
MikeTheTiger wrote:Agreed. He definitely has the old fire in him this year. He didn't need to win the race on Sunday, but he still drove hard to track down Brad K. The championship really should come down to those two, but this new format is a crap shoot.

The old Chase format was also crap shoot.

NASCAR has tried everything in their power to ensure that Jimmy Johnson will win it all, even to the point of the tracks that they selected for those final 10 races, and the order in which they appear.

I certainly agree that the old Chase format wasn't very good either. As you've pointed out before, there were a couple of seasons where Gordon had the best overall year, but the tracks in the chase favored Johnson and he ended up winning the championship. I don't know that it was intentional, but the net result was still the same. Johnson has certainly benefited from having a Chase lineup filled with his best tracks. Having the winner at Phoenix get an automatic spot into the Final 4 (assuming he makes it to the round of 8) absolutely favors him in the new format as well.

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » September 30th, 2014, 11:19 am

If they would have left the points format as it always had been (before the Chase garbage), Gordon would be going for his 7th Championship this season (and leading in the points too.)

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » September 30th, 2014, 11:38 am

Aloha Nole wrote:If they would have left the points format as it always had been (before the Chase garbage), Gordon would be going for his 7th Championship this season (and leading in the points too.)

Agreed. It's really a shame that Johnson is the one chasing down Petty and Earnhardt instead of Gordon. While I think everyone still recognized Gordon as one of the all-time greats, the Chase has put him in the second level along with Johnson when Gordon really should be in the first rung with Petty and Earnhardt.

Next

Return to Racing