Register

Jack Nicklaus applies Occam's razor

PGA, LPGA, Senior Tour, Web.com Tour, NCAA...man, that's a lot of golf!
The Curmudgeon

Jack Nicklaus applies Occam's razor

Postby Domer » April 8th, 2016, 8:53 am

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-go ... to-augusta

This cannot be what Bobby Jones had in mind back in the 1930s. Augusta National was not built to withstand the equipment present in 2016. Now, it has done a terrific job evolving and looking into the future as drives get longer and shots get more absurd. Billy Payne noted this on Wednesday with some interesting (and smart) comments.

But the way holes are played now is so different than the way they were played decades ago. Angles that were meant to challenge have been completely taken out of play.

Jack Nicklaus has a solution.

"I think with the length the guys hit today ... I tell you, the simplest solution is change the frigging golf ball," said Nicklaus. "The golf ball goes so far. Augusta National is about the only place, the only golf course in the world that financially can afford to make the changes that they have to make to keep up with the golf ball. I don't think anybody else could ever do it."

It really is the smartest solution. You can spend millions regulating golf courses or try and put a stop to the variety of club companies. Or ... you could change the common denominator for all golfers -- the golf ball.

This will be a debate that rages on into the future. And it is of course not up to Augusta National to make those changes. Augusta is simply the place where it becomes most obvious that a change is needed.
God, Country, Notre Dame

Return to Golf