Register

Will Tiger ever win another major?

PGA, LPGA, Senior Tour, Web.com Tour, NCAA...man, that's a lot of golf!
The Unimpeachable Source

Will Tiger ever win another major?

Postby irishmark » August 12th, 2013, 8:28 am

You have to ask.
"I don't care if Pat Terrell is so wide open, you could walk up and hand him the football! Take the sack"!

Lou Holtz to Tony Rice.

The Curmudgeon

Re: Will Tiger ever win another major?

Postby Domer » August 12th, 2013, 8:37 am

I'm beginning to doubt it. I don't understand it. The week before he runs away with the World Golf Championship and this past week he can't break par. It has to be some sort of mental block.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » August 12th, 2013, 10:02 am

Domer wrote:I'm beginning to doubt it. I don't understand it. The week before he runs away with the World Golf Championship and this past week he can't break par. It has to be some sort of mental block.

If it's a mental block, then I think there's a good chance that the flood gates would open once he finally gets the monkey off his back. I'm not sure that's what's going on. There just comes a time in each golfer's life when his body starts to betray him. It may be as simple as his not having the physical abilities anymore to get it done on a major golf course. I think he'll get hot at the right time and get at least one more (like Phil this year or Jack in '86), but I don't know that it'll be much more than that.

Janitor

Postby BullGator » August 12th, 2013, 11:33 am

Jack had multiple multi-year spans where he didn't win a major. At Tiger's age now, Jack had won 14 (like Tiger), and was in the middle of a 3-year drought.

Considering that Tiger had his off-the-course problems and then a significant knee injury, I don't think it's that weird that his gap would be longer than Nicklaus' longest. And, even though Tiger isn't winning majors right now, he's playing overall better golf than Jack was at the same age...against much deeper competition than Jack faced.

I don't know if Tiger will catch Jack -- if he doesn't, I'd point to the better competition as perhaps the single largest contributing factor -- but I definitely think he'll win at least one more major before he's done. And, I'd also say that even if he doesn't win as many or more majors than Jack, that even with a respectable finish to his career from here on out, he will have been an all-around more dominant golfer than Jack and would have a legitimate claim to the best golfer of all time.

Tiger has 6 more tour wins than Jack had (in 7 fewer years), and 43 more professional wins. He will almost certainly pass Sam Snead on all-time PGA wins in the next year, having done it in 19 years compared to Snead's 30. He has 3 of the 4 longest winning streaks on PGA history (Hogan had 11 and 6, Tiger has had 5, 6, and 7).

I know the topic of the thread was just majors, but I do like to point out just how ridiculous his career has been even if he never wins another one (which I think he will). :fore:
I have the coolest signature of all time. Woohoo!!

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » August 14th, 2013, 12:08 pm

My question is, how is his knee holding up? And the rest of his body for that matter. I don't recall him saying much about his knee before, and then all of a sudden it was bad and needed surgery. That makes me wonder if he just keeps things like that very private until he can't hide them any more.

And his personal life is much different now then when he was winning majors. As odd as it sounds, being in a dysfunctional relationship (although his wife didn't realize it was dysfunctional) was calming to him, or at least it didn't stand in the way of him winning. I assume that he is now in a normal relationship with Lindsey, which is very different for him.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » August 14th, 2013, 2:19 pm

BullGator wrote:Considering that Tiger had his off-the-course problems and then a significant knee injury, I don't think it's that weird that his gap would be longer than Nicklaus' longest. And, even though Tiger isn't winning majors right now, he's playing overall better golf than Jack was at the same age...against much deeper competition than Jack faced.

I agree that those factors explain the longer drought at this point in his career, but they could also cause him to fade more quickly through the rest of his career than did Jack as well. Certainly, he seems to be playing better in non-majors than Jack did at the same age, but ability to play well in those tournaments doesn't translate into having what it takes to win majors. I don't know if the issues are mental or physical at this point. If mental, then he should be able to figure it out and go on a run. If physical, then he may be past his prime for majors.

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » August 14th, 2013, 2:29 pm

I think it has to be mental. The week before the PGA Championship, Tiger won at Firestone Country Club by 7 strokes. The Firestone course has been used for the PGA Championship 3 times, so it's a "major" course. It just wasn't a major the week Tiger won by 7 strokes there. I think he will figure out how to relax enough to win a few more majors before his career is over.
God, Country, Notre Dame

Homers and Hacks Club President

Postby GatorTeeth » August 15th, 2013, 5:34 am

BullGator wrote;

And, even though Tiger isn't winning majors right now, he's playing overall better golf than Jack was at the same age...against much deeper competition than Jack faced.

I don't know if Tiger will catch Jack -- if he doesn't, I'd point to the better competition as perhaps the single largest contributing factor .

While I agree with you that Tiger's competition today is much deeper than was Jack's...I'm not sure the competition is better today than it was during Jack's heyday.

My contention is, that while there may be many more good pro's today than 30-40 years ago, I don't see as many great pro's as those Jack faced week in and week out.

Jack had to face an unparalleled amount of the greatest golfers of all-time (playing during the same era) in almost every event, and certainly in every major. I don't think there is a quintet playing today that match these five that Jack had to face (Palmer, Player, Casper, Trevino, Watson). Each of those guys won multiple major championships.....So, while there may be more good duffers out there today, the competition at the top was much greater when Jack played than what Tiger faces.

I've also heard it said that the equipment today makes for better players and scores. I don't see that contention playing out in reality. The scores today seem to be no better than those when Jack was playing (although I'll admit I haven't looked it up).

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » August 15th, 2013, 6:52 am

GT, you don't think that having a deeper field of competitors makes it harder to win multiple majors? That's like saying the top of the Big Ten historically has been stronger than the SEC because Ohio St and Michigan have won more conference championships than anyone in the SEC. In any case, Palmer's last title came in 1964 and Jack's first came in 1962 so they barely overlapped. Watson came in on the back end after the other guys on your list had faded. A comparable list of multiple winners (3+ wins like Casper) in the Tiger era would be Mickelson, Els, Singh, Payne Stewart, and Padraig Harrington. When it's all said in done I'm sure you'll be able to add McElroy to that list.

Homers and Hacks Club President

Postby GatorTeeth » August 15th, 2013, 7:49 am

MikeTheTiger wrote:GT, you don't think that having a deeper field of competitors makes it harder to win multiple majors? That's like saying the top of the Big Ten historically has been stronger than the SEC because Ohio St and Michigan have won more conference championships than anyone in the SEC. In any case, Palmer's last title came in 1964 and Jack's first came in 1962 so they barely overlapped. Watson came in on the back end after the other guys on your list had faded. A comparable list of multiple winners (3+ wins like Casper) in the Tiger era would be Mickelson, Els, Singh, Payne Stewart, and Padraig Harrington. When it's all said in done I'm sure you'll be able to add McElroy to that list.

I see your point, but I don't think (outside of Mickelson) , the others you named are not in the class of those I named. As far as your comparison (BIG to SEC) I think the only way to answer that is like this. When you have two powerhouses like OSU and Mich were for years, even with a deep lineup of other teams it wouldn't matter. Those two would be the perennial champs. That's the way I see it with Tiger and Jack. ....Yes, there may be more good golfers out there today...but those at the top are not good as those at the top when Jack was playing. Therefore, he was facing Hall of Famers in every major event. Those I named are considered among the all-time greats of the PGA......I don't see that many HOFers today, yet.

Next

Return to Golf