Register

Best PGA Championship in Recent Memory

PGA, LPGA, Senior Tour, Web.com Tour, NCAA...man, that's a lot of golf!
absolutely no allegiance to anyone

Best PGA Championship in Recent Memory

Postby Eric » August 17th, 2015, 9:58 am

It comes down to two good guys--one who's having the most amazing year in decades and another who had yet to win a major, but had come close so many times. Like most Americans, I was rooting for Jordan Spieth to make a dramatic comeback after putting himself into contention with a great third round. But it was hard to root against Jason Day who had come so close in the past, including majors this year.

I think Spieth showed a lot of class as both approached the 18th green, staying to the side and allowing Day to be the center of the crowd's attention as at that point, the championship had already been decided. He was very gracious in defeat, had great things to say about Day, and seemed sincere in all of his comments. Of course, when your second place finish gets you to #1 in the world, who wouldn't be generous with his praise?

And Day. After his putt got him within a couple of feet of the 18th hole, he started to break down, and the tears really began to flow after he sank it. It was hard not to get all teared up with him and I can't think of a better and more satisfying finish to a PGA Championship that we've seen for some time. Day really deserved it, battling off a determined Spieth with a courageous effort of his own, and Spieth, having finished 2nd, only cemented himself as the best player in the world today. (His 1st place standing in the FedEx Cup is ridiculous--the nine players below him have anywhere from 1535 points to 2358 points, or 823 points separating #2 and #10--while Spieth has put together 3837 points, and is currently 1479 points ahead of #2 Bubba Watson.)

It's been quite a while since I've been this interested in golf, but all it takes are decent, highly talented young guys like Spieth, Day, McIlroy and Fowler to move us past the likes of Tiger. I just hope that these golf commentators feel that they can finally move beyond Woods and start talking about the real contenders at the beginning of each major tournament.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

The Curmudgeon

Re: Best PGA Championship in Recent Memory

Postby Domer » August 17th, 2015, 12:30 pm

It was a great PGS Championship, for sure. I agree about wanting to root for both Jordan Spieth and Jason Day. The foursome of Spieth, Day, McIlroy, and Fowler are the ones to beat now and probably for quite a while to come. I'm still hoping Tiger will regain some of his form (even though I detest what he did in his private life), but he is old news. The new Big Four are the stars now.
God, Country, Notre Dame

absolutely no allegiance to anyone

Re: Best PGA Championship in Recent Memory

Postby Eric » August 22nd, 2015, 10:49 am

No sooner than I rip into Tiger that he has his best outing for a while. He is currently tied for the lead at the Wyndham Championship going into the 3rd round. Of course, it seems like an easy course---if you shot a 2-under for the first two days, you missed the cut.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Return to Golf