Register

Wishing for Spieth's Continued Success

PGA, LPGA, Senior Tour, Web.com Tour, NCAA...man, that's a lot of golf!
absolutely no allegiance to anyone

Wishing for Spieth's Continued Success

Postby Eric » July 12th, 2015, 9:57 pm

I think it will be monumentally difficult for Jordan Spieth to win the Open this week. It's not for lack of talent and approach, but the odds of anyone in this era of golf to win three grand slam tournaments are too great. I think it's amazing that Spieth has taken two already, and is having a spectacular year, so much so that he appears to very quickly be becoming the face of golf. And that is a great thing. Ever since Tiger hit the skids, there has been no one, at least here in the US, to step up and make the game really exciting until Spieth came along.

I actually have been watching the John Deere tournament this weekend, one of the most obscure on the tour, only because Spieth was in it. This is what one person can do for the game if his success and his character hits a chord with the golfing populace. I watched him come back from a bad first round where he was tied for 101st, to an excellent second round where he ended up tied for 16th, and to an amazing 10-under third round that put him up as the sole leader. Even when his bland front nine today allowed others to overtake him, for some reason I just felt he would make it back, and with 4 birdies on the last 6 holes, he managed to force a playoff and take the win.

I'd love to see Spieth take the Open, but even if he doesn't, I hope his performance is strong enough to cement him as one of the best, if not the best, in the sport. It's been a while since the US has had a golfer so dominant and at the same time so likeable as an individual. I wish him the best going forward, and I look forward to golf commentators shifting their constant attention from Tiger to one who truly deserves it at this point in time.
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

The Curmudgeon

Re: Wishing for Spieth's Continued Success

Postby Domer » July 13th, 2015, 6:53 am

Yeah. I enjoy watching Spieth. He is amazing.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » July 19th, 2015, 10:22 am

And here he sits in the 3rd round tied for the lead
"I don't care if Pat Terrell is so wide open, you could walk up and hand him the football! Take the sack"!

Lou Holtz to Tony Rice.

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » July 20th, 2015, 7:17 am

1 shot behind leaders going into today's final round. I like this young man and hope he does well.
God, Country, Notre Dame

Return to Golf