Register

Dustin Johnson injures his back in a freak fall

PGA, LPGA, Senior Tour, Web.com Tour, NCAA...man, that's a lot of golf!
The Curmudgeon

Dustin Johnson injures his back in a freak fall

Postby Domer » April 6th, 2017, 7:23 am

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/jo ... spartanntp

Masters favorite Dustin Johnson took a serious fall on a staircase Wednesday and injured his lower back, and his manager said it was uncertain whether the world's No. 1 golfer would be able to play the tournament.

It was a stunning development on an otherwise quiet day at Augusta National, where the course was shut down at 1:30 p.m. because of storms.

The real calamity struck a few hours later.

David Winkle, his manager at Hambric Sports, said Johnson fell on the stairs at the home he is renting in Augusta.

"He landed very hard on his lower back and is now resting, although quite uncomfortably," Winkle said in an email. "He has been advised to remain immobile and begin a regimen of anti-inflammatory medication and icing, with the hope of being able to play tomorrow."

What might help Johnson is that he is in the last group for the opening round, scheduled to tee off at 2:03 p.m. with two-time Masters champion Bubba Watson and PGA champion Jimmy Walker.

Johnson had been scheduled to attend the Golf Writers Association of America annual dinner Wednesday night to accept its award as male player of the year. He was coming off a season in which he won the U.S. Open for his first major, was voted PGA Tour player of the year for the first time, won the PGA Tour money title and captured the Vardon Trophy for the lowest adjusted scoring average.[...]
God, Country, Notre Dame

Re: Dustin Johnson injures his back in a freak fall

Postby GR82BACANE » April 6th, 2017, 8:04 am

Wearing socks on a hardwood floor not the smartest thing ever done. I will say I walked across the tile last summer and my dog apparently had came in wet and shook. I was barefoot and my feet went straight out from under me and I landed hard on my ass. I can completely understand if he withdraws.

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » April 6th, 2017, 2:30 pm

http://www.espn.com/golf/masters17/stor ... -back-fall

Dustin Johnson, saying Thursday he was "going to give it a try" after suffering a back injury during a fall at his rental home on Wednesday, walked off the first tee and pulled out of the Masters just prior to his first-round tee time.

Johnson, 32, the No. 1-ranked player in the world and the pre-tournament favorite after winning his previous three starts on the PGA Tour, slipped on wooden stairs and fell on his back in a "freak accident," he said Thursday.

"It sucks," Johnson said after deciding he couldn't play in the first major of the year. "Obviously, I want to play more than anything. It hurts. I was going everything I could to try and play."

Johnson arrived at Augusta National on Thursday with the intention of playing. He visited physical trainers, warmed up on the driving range and hit a few putts. After much discussion following his warm-up shots, he told ESPN's Tom Rinaldi that he will "give it a try" and headed to the first tee.

He then headed to the clubhouse just as his group was scheduled to tee off.

"I can't swing full," Johnson said. "I can't make a normal swing. I could go back to about 80 percent.

"... Probably in three days, I'll be fine. If this had happened Monday, I'd be fine."[...]
God, Country, Notre Dame

Thong

Postby bigearl » April 7th, 2017, 7:04 am

GR82BACANE wrote:Wearing socks on a hardwood floor not the smartest thing ever done. I will say I walked across the tile last summer and my dog apparently had came in wet and shook. I was barefoot and my feet went straight out from under me and I landed hard on my ass. I can completely understand if he withdraws.

Plus with Dustin's rep... it's easy to let the mind wander with the possible scenarios..

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » April 14th, 2017, 10:23 am

Suddenly having a free weekend with Paulina wouldn't be the worst thing.
Make GASF Great Again!

Return to Golf