Register

Kayaking

Your sport (Tennis, Olympic sports, Volleyball, Tiddlywinks, etc.) doesn't have its own forum? Then come in here and tell us all about it.
The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Kayaking

Postby Iconoclast » August 8th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Has anyone else gone kayaking? I went today with my son, a great way to spend some time with him. We went up and down the Tualatin River. My arms are dying right now. I've gone before in Texas, but it was on a reservoir (they call them lakes in Texas). And it was like glass out there. The river has a slight current which makes for much more work, at least when going against it (and didn't provide nearly the propulsion I was hoping for when returning with the current). $20 rental for two hours of exercise, serenity, nature and most importantly, quality time with my buddy. I highly recommend going out some time, preferably on a lake, and paddling around.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

The Curmudgeon

Re: Kayaking

Postby Domer » August 9th, 2013, 6:57 am

I did this a couple of times about 10 years ago on the Little Miami River here in Ohio. That's a very "mild" river and it was a pleasant way to spend some time outside, enjoy nature, spend time with family, and get some exercise.
God, Country, Notre Dame

absolutely no allegiance to anyone

Postby Eric » August 9th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Sounds good. Never been, but I'd be open to sitting in the front while whoever is behind me paddles away. If I'm going to be on any water-going vessel, it had better have a motor attached, a deck for kicking back under the sun, and someone bringing drinks up from down in the galley. :beer:
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Postby Michigan Grad » August 12th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Since I vacation in Michigan, Maine, West Virginia, Virginia, and upstate New York with either my family or my wife's family, I have kayaked extensively on lakes and on rivers. If anyone finds themselves in Michigan for a week or a weekend this summer or fall, send me a PM and I'll let you use my sea kayaks or river kayaks and the car rack to haul them around.

For lake kayaking, I recommend using a sea or lake kayak. These tend to be light and very easy to manuever. 4 years ago, I bought my wife and I two (2) Ocean Kayak Caper models. I got hers in purple and mine in orange. (It's amazing how many of our nieces love to use her purple kayak). We use them every year on many of our inland lakes of Michigan, including the Great Lakes without any issues. Here is their website describing the kayak: http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/single_kayaks/caper/

For river kayaking, you have to consider the type of river you are going on.
For the meandering current with a little bit of rapids, I recommend a touring river kayak. These are more for 80% of the American rivers out there. http://www.wateroutfitters.com/Pyranha- ... tAodWysAnQ

For the New River and Gauley River, which can have stage 3-5 rapids, I use a Whitewater Kayak. These are light weight, easy to manuever, and after 2 hours of practice, you can master flipping back up after capsizing. We only have 2 rivers in all of Michigan that are bigger than stage 2, so we only use these in Maine and down south. Here is the website showing these types of kayaks: http://www.outdoorplay.com/Wave-Sport-P ... pingdotcom
Coaching is my passion:
Hockey - Plymouth Canton Hockey Association
Football - Cardinal Mooney High School

Homers and Hacks Club President

Postby GatorTeeth » August 12th, 2013, 5:29 pm

Kayaking sounds like a lot of fun. I've never done it and at age 72 I don't think it's time to become a beginner.....Besides, I with eric when it comes to relaxing on the water. ;)

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » August 14th, 2013, 6:52 pm

MG - cool information, thanks. We used a tandem on the river, it was more of a lake kayak. It would be great to fish out of. As far as going in stage 2 and above rapids, no thanks. Probably a lot safer than sky diving, but I am not trusting of myself to flip over.

Is the statue based upon you? ;)

Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

Postby Michigan Grad » August 15th, 2013, 7:46 am

Iconoclast wrote:MG - cool information, thanks. We used a tandem on the river, it was more of a lake kayak. It would be great to fish out of. As far as going in stage 2 and above rapids, no thanks. Probably a lot safer than sky diving, but I am not trusting of myself to flip over.

Is the statue based upon you? ;)

Wow, the dude looks like some of my wife's relatives from the Danville / Madison area of Logan County, West Virginia, LOL.
I am surprised that the statue didn't have an actual functioning 'long gun".

On second thought, he looks a little bit like Willy from "Ultimate Survival - Alaska". I hope I am still that active when I get into my 70's.
Coaching is my passion:
Hockey - Plymouth Canton Hockey Association
Football - Cardinal Mooney High School

Return to And the Rest...