Register

What a shame it ended this way

Your sport (Tennis, Olympic sports, Volleyball, Tiddlywinks, etc.) doesn't have its own forum? Then come in here and tell us all about it.
The Curmudgeon

What a shame it ended this way

Postby Domer » July 2nd, 2015, 6:53 am

I felt so bad for Laura Bassett.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/story/ ... s-own-goal

Laura Bassett scored into her own net during second-half stoppage time, giving Japan a 2-1 victory over England in a Women's World Cup semifinal.

The decisive goal Wednesday came when Japan's Nahomi Kawasumi drove up the right side and sent a cross into the middle for Yuki Ogimi. Bassett reached out with her right foot and caught the ball flush, inadvertently sending it toward her net. The ball struck the crossbar and bounced in just before goalkeeper Karen Bardsley could get across.

The defending champions advanced to play the United States in the championship game at Vancouver on Sunday. It's a rematch of the 2011 championship game in Germany, when Japan won on penalty kicks after a 2-2 draw.

Bassett was inconsolable at the end of the match, lying flat on the ground, her face in the turf. She then needed assistance from teammates and her coach before leaving the field.

It was a torturous finish for the sixth-ranked Lionesses, who have made their deepest run in four World Cup appearances. England had never won an elimination game until this year.[...]
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Re: What a shame it ended this way

Postby Iconoclast » July 2nd, 2015, 11:40 am

I know, wasn't that a terrible way for England to lose? After seeing so many youth soccer games, own goals do occur and the person who committs them always feels awful. My daughter's team was down in California playing a top California team. We were undefeated in league play against a bunch of Cali teams. This team was also undefeated. The winner moved on to the championship game for the league. We had a mixup with our goalie and a midfielder near our goal and the midfielder inadvertantely kicked it in and they won 1-0. Own goals happen and they are usually the result of a good play by the other team and the defensive team either makes a bad decision or hits the ball somewhere they shouldn't. You can usually credit the offensive team for creating the goal.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

Return to And the Rest...