Register

Women's soccer

Your sport (Tennis, Olympic sports, Volleyball, Tiddlywinks, etc.) doesn't have its own forum? Then come in here and tell us all about it.
The Artist FKA SECRules

Re: Women's soccer

Postby MikeTheTiger » November 4th, 2014, 11:37 am

Iconoclast wrote:An alternative might be to put him on a rec team that has a good coach. Someone who played the game and puts them through good practices that involve the fundementals. The other thing that you can do is to just put obstacles out in the lawn and have him touch the ball around them. Sure you can do cones, but sticks work. If you can get him to do it on his own, becuase it's fun, then he will really improve his footskills.

I wouldn't worry about select teams until 8 or so. See if he sticks with it and develops a love for the game. If he has that at 8, you can do it. Our daughter didn't start rec until 7 or 8 and diidn't join a club team until she was 9. She then made a really top team at 10 going on 11 and never got to play. Coach wouldn't put her in. It's been a long journey since then. Of that initial team of 16, 2 quit soccer, one is going to play at Idaho, and the remaining 13 are all going to Pac 12, SEC or Big 12 teams. It was a pretty incredible team.

Thanks for the suggestions, Icono. He is turning 8 in March, so it's probably getting to be about the age we need to consider pushing him up in level. I think we'll keep him in the rec league for the Spring, then look to a club team in the Fall.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » November 4th, 2014, 12:11 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:An alternative might be to put him on a rec team that has a good coach. Someone who played the game and puts them through good practices that involve the fundementals. The other thing that you can do is to just put obstacles out in the lawn and have him touch the ball around them. Sure you can do cones, but sticks work. If you can get him to do it on his own, becuase it's fun, then he will really improve his footskills.

I wouldn't worry about select teams until 8 or so. See if he sticks with it and develops a love for the game. If he has that at 8, you can do it. Our daughter didn't start rec until 7 or 8 and diidn't join a club team until she was 9. She then made a really top team at 10 going on 11 and never got to play. Coach wouldn't put her in. It's been a long journey since then. Of that initial team of 16, 2 quit soccer, one is going to play at Idaho, and the remaining 13 are all going to Pac 12, SEC or Big 12 teams. It was a pretty incredible team.

Thanks for the suggestions, Icono. He is turning 8 in March, so it's probably getting to be about the age we need to consider pushing him up in level. I think we'll keep him in the rec league for the Spring, then look to a club team in the Fall.

That sounds like a good plan. We pushed our kids, but only if we knew they enjoyed it and wanted to do it. If they showed any signs of not liking something, we let them quit. My son no longer does baseball or basketball as a result, but loves soccer and lacrosse and running. Soccer, more than any other sport, is a marathon, not a sprint. It's a game of attrition. So many kids play when young, and are good, but slowly they quit the sport. And the top players at a younger age are not always the top players at an older age, however they can be. My daughter was so far behind at age 10. Yet today, at 16, she can play with most players in the country, which is why she got so much interest from the Pac 12 I guess. And don't forget that NBC, I think, carries Premier League soccer matches. You learn a lot by watching the pros play.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » November 4th, 2014, 12:54 pm

Iconoclast wrote:And don't forget that NBC, I think, carries Premier League soccer matches. You learn a lot by watching the pros play.

Yes, my son learned how to celebrate scoring goals from watching the World Cup. :D

Postby Iconoclast » November 10th, 2014, 5:57 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:And don't forget that NBC, I think, carries Premier League soccer matches. You learn a lot by watching the pros play.

Yes, my son learned how to celebrate scoring goals from watching the World Cup. :D

I bet that's pretty cool to see. My kids are not demonstrative. When my daughter scores, she looks almost embarassed by the attention from her teammates. My son is a holding mid and worries about being back on defense, so he rarely scores.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » November 11th, 2014, 9:47 am

Iconoclast wrote:
MikeTheTiger wrote:

I bet that's pretty cool to see. My kids are not demonstrative. When my daughter scores, she looks almost embarassed by the attention from her teammates. My son is a holding mid and worries about being back on defense, so he rarely scores.

Well, it can be a bit embarrassing to see him showboating, but I have to admit it makes me chuckle. He has the double fist pump, jumping on his teammates and flying around the field like an airplane down to perfection.

Postby Maz » November 11th, 2014, 10:38 am

I intend to live forever... so far, so good.

Postby Iconoclast » November 11th, 2014, 2:02 pm

Maz wrote:http://www.nbcsports.com/gamefinder

Cool. Thanks.

Previous

Return to And the Rest...