Register

Sterling remind you of somebody?

Like the high-flying, high-scoring, NBA? Then this is the place for you!
The Unimpeachable Source

Sterling remind you of somebody?

Postby irishmark » April 29th, 2014, 9:54 pm

“Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty”.

Joseph Goebbells

The Postmaster General

Re: Sterling remind you of somebody?

Postby Dubby » April 29th, 2014, 9:57 pm

irishmark wrote:http://mlb.si.com/2014/04/29/donald-sterling-marge-schott-mlb-reds-clippers-suspend-nba/

We were just talking about this at work this week
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » April 30th, 2014, 6:53 am

I'm not at all defending what Marge Schott said, but as a lifelong (off and on) Cincinnati area resident, I hate that she has become the poster child for stupid racist remarks.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » May 22nd, 2014, 9:51 pm

I loved what Mark Cuban had to say. Of course he's being taken to town by some media outlets for saying it.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » May 23rd, 2014, 6:43 am

Iconoclast wrote:I loved what Mark Cuban had to say. Of course he's being taken to town by some media outlets for saying it.

Agreed. I liked his comments, too. I don't see anything wrong with being candid.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » May 30th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Domer wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:I loved what Mark Cuban had to say. Of course he's being taken to town by some media outlets for saying it.

Agreed. I liked his comments, too. I don't see anything wrong with being candid.

See, that's the thing, all of us have some racist or predudice thoughts and behaviors. In my view, that was all that Cuban was saying. I didn't take him to be saying that it's ok. In fact, he said that in his company he works with those employees to change the behavior. He doesn't just fire them to then become someone else's problem. Wow, solving a problem in a way that helps others rather than just solving it to help yourself, what a concept. I didn't hear what Sterling said, just reports about it. I don't know if it is right that the NBA is taking away his team - that seems pretty drastic. He's not been a good owner, but that doesn't matter. What he said, if I heard correctly, is that he said it in a private conversation that was recorded. It's not like he made a speech in public. I wonder what other people have said in private conversations that we will never hear. I think that is indirectly what Cuban was saying.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » May 30th, 2014, 1:01 pm

Iconoclast wrote:See, that's the thing, all of us have some racist or predudice thoughts and behaviors. In my view, that was all that Cuban was saying. I didn't take him to be saying that it's ok. In fact, he said that in his company he works with those employees to change the behavior. He doesn't just fire them to then become someone else's problem. Wow, solving a problem in a way that helps others rather than just solving it to help yourself, what a concept. I didn't hear what Sterling said, just reports about it. I don't know if it is right that the NBA is taking away his team - that seems pretty drastic. He's not been a good owner, but that doesn't matter. What he said, if I heard correctly, is that he said it in a private conversation that was recorded. It's not like he made a speech in public. I wonder what other people have said in private conversations that we will never hear. I think that is indirectly what Cuban was saying.

An attitude attributed to Voltaire by Evelyn Beatrice Hall says, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." That doesn't seem to be the current PC attitude in this country, which claims to guarantee its citizens freedom of speech. I don't agree with what Sterling said, but it was in a conversation he assumed to be private. I think forcing him to sell his team is too severe a punishment for exercising his First Amendment right.
God, Country, Notre Dame

Return to NBA