Register

Let the Madness begin

Come talk a little college round-ball.
The Postmaster General

Re: Let the Madness begin

Postby Dubby » March 23rd, 2018, 4:38 pm

Iconoclast wrote:My prediction of a final four with fairly high seeds appears to be off. I really thought that Kentucky would waltz into the final 4.

You still may get your wish

Elite 8 in West 9 seed FSU playing 3 Seed Mich for One Final Four (The way FSU is playing I like them in this one)

South has 9 Seed K-State playing 11 seed Loyola-Chicago (Looking forward to this one blows the doors off the one and done super teams like Kentucky)

So one final four can be no lower than 9 seed

In the elite 8 tonight you still have 11 seed Cuse (Although I have this feeling Duke blows the doors off them)

So there a potential for 2-3 high seed out of 4 since the East has 1-2-3 and 5 left.

The South region is already one for the record books

FYI Memo to self look at the 11 seeds more than the 12 seeds for upsets (11 have streak going for making the sweet 16 and elite 8 that better than the 12 which were skunked this year for only the 5th time in 35 years of this format)
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » March 23rd, 2018, 11:09 pm

Dubby wrote:Don't be shocked if Gonzaga is not cutting down the nets come April 2. Or at least in another final four.

I take this one back

I drank the Kool-Aid knowing full well WCC does not prepare this team for tourney

A bad call Vs Northwestern and WVU going cold in last 1:55 is the only reason this team made final four last season

Back to regular Gonzaga double digit sweet 16 losses
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Turnover Chain

Postby GR82BACANE » March 26th, 2018, 9:51 am

Dubby wrote:
Dubby wrote:Don't be shocked if Gonzaga is not cutting down the nets come April 2. Or at least in another final four.

I take this one back

I drank the Kool-Aid knowing full well WCC does not prepare this team for tourney

A bad call Vs Northwestern and WVU going cold in last 1:55 is the only reason this team made final four last season

Problem is they don't have an option for a conference. What join the Big East? That is a lot of traveling. PAC 12 as all sports other than football? Don't see that happening. Do to logistics they are kind of stuck.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » March 26th, 2018, 10:04 am

Dubby wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:My prediction of a final four with fairly high seeds appears to be off. I really thought that Kentucky would waltz into the final 4.

Elite 8 in West 9 seed FSU playing 3 Seed Mich for One Final Four (The way FSU is playing I like them in this one)

South has 9 Seed K-State playing 11 seed Loyola-Chicago (Looking forward to this one blows the doors off the one and done super teams like Kentucky)

In the elite 8 tonight you still have 11 seed Cuse (Although I have this feeling Duke blows the doors off them)

So there a potential for 2-3 high seed out of 4 since the East has 1-2-3 and 5 left.

FYI Memo to self look at the 11 seeds more than the 12 seeds for upsets (11 have streak going for making the sweet 16 and elite 8 that better than the 12 which were skunked this year for only the 5th time in 35 years of this format)

It wasn't my wish, however the old saying "the cream rises to the top" is still appropriate. Two 1s a 3 and an 11. So we had one bracket that was off. The other three played out with high seeds making it to the finals. It's been a fun tournament with a some early upsets which threw a couple of brackets off, however in the end, we go a tournament where the committee got it right, for the most part.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » March 27th, 2018, 3:36 pm

GR82BACANE wrote:
Dubby wrote:

I take this one back

Problem is they don't have an option for a conference. What join the Big East? That is a lot of traveling. PAC 12 as all sports other than football? Don't see that happening. Do to logistics they are kind of stuck.

They're trying to join the MWC. Not much of an upgrade. But, far better than the WCC teams that lose to MAC teams

Postby Iconoclast » March 27th, 2018, 5:12 pm

Dubby wrote:
They're trying to join the MWC. Not much of an upgrade. But, far better than the WCC teams that lose to MAC teams

In men's basketball, they have St. Mary's, BYU and occasionally one other school that has a good team. The MWC will not take them, they don't have football. The WCC is pretty much a Catholic school conference (save for BYU and I think Pacific, which is protestant) made up of schools that don't have football (BYU is the exception) and focus on soccer, volleyball, basketball, baseball and track.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

The Turnover Chain

Postby GR82BACANE » March 28th, 2018, 8:45 am

Loyola made the final four and it took a 30 footer at the buzzer to beat Miami in a game they were behind almost the entire time.. Do I think Miami would have made the Final Four. Nope. I don't think they would have made the Elite 8. But funny how one play with a little luck can change a tourney run.

I would like a Loyola-Villanova final.

Postby Iconoclast » March 28th, 2018, 3:55 pm

GR82BACANE wrote:Loyola made the final four and it took a 30 footer at the buzzer to beat Miami in a game they were behind almost the entire time.. Do I think Miami would have made the Final Four. Nope. I don't think they would have made the Elite 8. But funny how one play with a little luck can change a tourney run.

I would like a Loyola-Villanova final.

Me too.

So with Louisville, Arizona, Auburn and others (who I can't remember) all having coaches/programs that have been caught in the FBI investigation, I wonder how one and done factories like Kansas and Kentucky and North Carolina have escaped? Even Duke has had some one and dones. How are these programs escaping the FBI investigation? Or is there more to come? Isn't Kansas Adidas flagship basketball school?

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » March 28th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
Dubby wrote:

In men's basketball, they have St. Mary's, BYU and occasionally one other school that has a good team. The MWC will not take them, they don't have football. The WCC is pretty much a Catholic school conference (save for BYU and I think Pacific, which is protestant) made up of schools that don't have football (BYU is the exception) and focus on soccer, volleyball, basketball, baseball and track.

St Mary was out of NIT early as was BYU. So I standby the WCC stinks when most of the teams lose to MAC teams at home in OOC play. That why Gonzaga record is deceiving most years. Last year a bad call saved them Vs Northwestern. WVU goes Ice cold in the last 1:55 or is the usual out by sweet 16 for the Zags

They almost lost to South Dakota St this season and were out by the sweet 16 by double digits which has been their MO most of the previous years less 2017 first and only final four run

The MWC is interested in Gonzaga for basketball only. It was them who approached the Zags

Mountain West Conference eyeing Gonzaga as potential expansion school

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/mountain-west-conference-eyeing-gonzaga-as-potential-expansion-school/

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » March 28th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
Dubby wrote:

It wasn't my wish, however the old saying "the cream rises to the top" is still appropriate. Two 1s a 3 and an 11. So we had one bracket that was off. The other three played out with high seeds making it to the finals. It's been a fun tournament with a some early upsets which threw a couple of brackets off, however in the end, we go a tournament where the committee got it right, for the most part.

While the final four is really three teams more than capable of being there.

Loyola is only the fourth 11 seed to make the final four. That historic still

Also the sweet 16 featured the highest number is total seed 85 in the history of the tourney since it expanded to 64 teams. It was tied with 2000 the other year the 16 teams seeds added up to 85.

PreviousNext

Return to NCAA Hoops