Register

Let the Madness begin

Come talk a little college round-ball.
The Curmudgeon

Re: Let the Madness begin

Postby Domer » March 20th, 2018, 9:33 am

There have been a bunch of upsets this year.

:?
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » March 20th, 2018, 10:23 am

Domer wrote:There have been a bunch of upsets this year.

This is byproduct of the one and done VS Senior laden mid majors

The mid majors are closing the gap with experience and teams that have played together for 3-4 years
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » March 20th, 2018, 10:51 am

Dubby wrote:

The mid majors are closing the gap with experience and teams that have played together for 3-4 years

I'm not so sure that's how I would interpret the results. Half of the 16 teams remaining come from the top two conferences: ACC and Big 12. That doesn't sound like a shift in power to mid-majors to me. The top seeds that lost aren't being replaced primarily by mid major teams. They are being replaced by lower seeded major conference teams (Kentucky, Clemson, Texas A&M, Kansas St, Florida St and Syracuse). Only 3 of the remaining teams are mid-majors and one of those is a Gonzaga team that has established itself as a major program even if it isn't in a major conference. The ACC has two high seeds that crashed out, but those were replaced by 3 low seeds from the conference who weren't supposed to make it this far. The SEC had two that crashed out that were placed by two others. The "major" conference that most significantly underperformed was the AAC, which is borderline major.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » March 20th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Dubby wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:In spite of all of the so called upsets, we still have a number of high seeds left.

Since they went to 64 teams only one other years had this high of seeds in round of 16

2000 seed number was 85 2018 is also 85

Make no mistake about you have two 11 seeds in sweet 16. While 11 has best overall record of the double digits seeds to make sweet 16 (20) elite eight (7) final fours (3)

There never been two 11 seeds in the sweet 16 at the same time. They do have a streak of sending at least one 11 seed to Sweet 16 for past few years.

The South region is devoid of 1-4 seeds in sweet 16.

Like with 16 seed winning for the first time. That has never happen before where one region didn't have at least one of the top 4 seeds

Make no mistake about this is a True March Madness being tied for number 1 at 85 seeds added together for sweet 16.

I'm not saying that a number of lower seeds made it to the 16. I'm just saying that we still have a number of high seeds left and after this coming weekend, I will not be surprised to see a final four with seeds of 5, 4, 2 and 1, or something similar. The committee might get some seeds wrong, but by and large, they get it right. Of the remaining low seeds, the one that I can see getting to the final 4 and maybe even winning the whole thing is Syracuse, an 11 seed. They just play such great defense and are so well coached. They look like a team that is peaking in the tournament. Maybe that play in game was a benefit for them.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » March 20th, 2018, 4:36 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:
Dubby wrote:

I'm not so sure that's how I would interpret the results. Half of the 16 teams remaining come from the top two conferences: ACC and Big 12. That doesn't sound like a shift in power to mid-majors to me. The top seeds that lost aren't being replaced primarily by mid major teams. They are being replaced by lower seeded major conference teams (Kentucky, Clemson, Texas A&M, Kansas St, Florida St and Syracuse). Only 3 of the remaining teams are mid-majors and one of those is a Gonzaga team that has established itself as a major program even if it isn't in a major conference. The ACC has two high seeds that crashed out, but those were replaced by 3 low seeds from the conference who weren't supposed to make it this far. The SEC had two that crashed out that were placed by two others. The "major" conference that most significantly underperformed was the AAC, which is borderline major.

I said the Mid Majors are closing the gap and they most certainly are.

Florida St had to rally to beat Xavier as they trailed by 10 and trailed 70-68 before going on run to win.

Michigan needed a prayer of 3 point shop to beat Houston

Nevada and Cincy basically cancelled each other out since it was one mid major beating another

Syracuse beat Arizona St PAC-12, TCU Big 12 and Michigan St Big Ten. So they haven't face a mid major in their run they've knocked other majors out.

K-State knocked out the miracle Team UMBC 50-43 competitive game UMBC more likely could not raise to level of the upset for the ages.

Kentucky blew out Buffalo who had already blown out Arizona. Keep in mind Kentucky struggled to beat Davidson

Purdue struggled with Butler (Missing big man Haas)

My point is overall the Mid Majors are closing the gap. I never said they'd totally closed it. I said they're closing the gap and they are. Don't be shocked if Gonzaga is not cutting down the nets come April 2. Or at least in another final four.
Last edited by Dubby on March 21st, 2018, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » March 21st, 2018, 12:00 pm

Dubby wrote:I said the Mid Majors are closing the gap and they most certainly are.

Florida St had to rally to beat Xavier as they trailed by 10 and trailed 70-68 before going on run to win.

Nevada and Cincy basically cancelled each other out since it was one mid major beating another

Syracuse beat Arizona St PAC-12, TCU Big 12 and Michigan St Big Ten. So they haven't face a mid major in their run they've knocked other mid majors out.

K-State knocked out the miracle Team UMBC 50-43 competitive game UMBC more likely could not raise to level of the upset for the ages.

Kentucky blew out Buffalo who had already blown out Arizona. Keep in mind Kentucky struggled to beat Davidson

My point is overall the Mid Majors are closing the gap. I never said they'd totally closed it. I said they're closing the gap and they are. Don't be shocked if Gonzaga is not cutting down the nets come April 2. Or at least in another final four.

It looks like part of the disconnect here is what you are defining as a mid-major. The Big East has always been considered a major conference in basketball and most sources I have seen consider the AAC to be one as well.

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » March 21st, 2018, 12:24 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:[quote="Dubby]I said the Mid Majors are closing the gap and they most certainly are.

Syracuse beat Arizona St PAC-12, TCU Big 12 and Michigan St Big Ten. So they haven't face a mid major in their run they've knocked other mid majors out.

My point is overall the Mid Majors are closing the gap. I never said they'd totally closed it. I said they're closing the gap and they are. Don't be shocked if Gonzaga is not cutting down the nets come April 2. Or at least in another final four.[/quote]

It looks like part of the disconnect here is what you are defining as a mid-major. The Big East has always been considered a major conference in basketball and most sources I have seen consider the AAC to be one as well.[/quote]

The Big East and AAC have more 3-4 year guys than the traditional B5 schools. That is why I put them in mid majors wise.

I agree the BE should be considered major. But, not the AAC

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » March 22nd, 2018, 11:43 pm

How about them Noles!!!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Florida St 75 Zags 60 Final
:basketball: :basketball: :basketball:

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » March 23rd, 2018, 5:19 am

Dubby wrote:How about them Noles!!!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Florida St 75 Zags 60 Final
:basketball: :basketball: :basketball:

Up next... The Skunkbears.
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » March 23rd, 2018, 10:08 am

My prediction of a final four with fairly high seeds appears to be off. I really thought that Kentucky would waltz into the final 4.
Make GASF Great Again!

PreviousNext

Return to NCAA Hoops