Register

Patrick Ewing new coach at Georgetown

Come talk a little college round-ball.
The Curmudgeon

Patrick Ewing new coach at Georgetown

Postby Domer » April 4th, 2017, 7:45 am

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... oyas-coach

Georgetown has hired former star player Patrick Ewing to be the school's new head coach, the team announced.

He replaces John Thompson III, the son of Ewing's former coach with the Hoyas, John Thompson Jr. A news conference is scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday.

Ewing, 54, joins Chris Mullin of St. John's as the only Division I head coaches who were Hall of Famers as players. Both schools are in the Big East Conference.

"My four years at Georgetown were the best of my life," Ewing said in a statement released by the school. "Georgetown is my home and it is a great honor for me to return to my alma mater and serve as the next head coach. I have been preparing to be a head coach for many years and can't wait to return to the Hilltop."

Ewing, who has been the associate head coach of the NBA's Charlotte Hornets, met Monday with Georgetown officials.

"To hire a head coach with this depth of coaching experience and personal achievements is tremendous,'' athletic director Lee Reed said in the statement. "It is a thrill to have him come back to his alma mater and continue the legacy of tradition and success he had as a student-athlete on the Hilltop.''[...]
God, Country, Notre Dame

Return to NCAA Hoops