Register

Wow, final four and no discussion

Come talk a little college round-ball.
The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Wow, final four and no discussion

Postby Iconoclast » April 3rd, 2017, 2:01 pm

It's odd since there were a myriad of threads about games the first week of the tournament.

I thought the UNC Oregon game was pretty well played. Oregon really missed having their center out as Meeks killed them. They needed another big man. I was expecting lopsided officiating in favor of UNC, but to my surprise, I thought it was pretty even. I thought they called a couple blocks against each team that should have been charges, but I think that they were consistent. They seemed ticky tack at times however.

The Gonzaga USC game was a game of attrition for Gonzaga. The Zags just had more offense. Both teams looked great on defense, but Gonzaga could muster more open shots. Gonzaga looked to be in foul trouble however. If USC could have gotten the game into OT, I think they may have won as four Zags had four fouls. They might have been able to foul those three guys out.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Curmudgeon

Re: Wow, final four and no discussion

Postby Domer » April 3rd, 2017, 2:40 pm

Iconoclast wrote:It's odd since there were a myriad of threads about games the first week of the tournament.

I thought the UNC Oregon game was pretty well played. Oregon really missed having their center out as Meeks killed them. They needed another big man. I was expecting lopsided officiating in favor of UNC, but to my surprise, I thought it was pretty even. I thought they called a couple blocks against each team that should have been charges, but I think that they were consistent. They seemed ticky tack at times however.

The Gonzaga USC game was a game of attrition for Gonzaga. The Zags just had more offense. Both teams looked great on defense, but Gonzaga could muster more open shots. Gonzaga looked to be in foul trouble however. If USC could have gotten the game into OT, I think they may have won as four Zags had four fouls. They might have been able to foul those three guys out.

Who are you rooting for tonight?

I'm pulling for Gonzaga.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Turnover Chain

Postby GR82BACANE » April 3rd, 2017, 3:02 pm

I don't really care who wins. Just hope it is a good close game.

Postby Iconoclast » April 3rd, 2017, 3:10 pm

Domer wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:It's odd since there were a myriad of threads about games the first week of the tournament.

Who are you rooting for tonight?

I'm pulling for Gonzaga.

Absolutely. I clearly have a bias for the west and living in the PacNW (although Sacramento at the moment) makes me root for teams from there. But really I think it would be good for college basketball. To see a small school win it all. You have the huge state schools with tons of resources so it would be nice to see the small school win it. I really don't have anything against Roy Williams, other than I don't trust that he is manipulating the investigation and any penalty against UNC.

Did you watch the games Saturday? Bell, after the game, apologized to the fans for letting them down by not boxing out twice. It's nice to see him take responsibility and not point fingers, but sheesh guy, you are 21, you are human. Don't blame yourself for the loss. Enjoy the fact that you got to play in a final four game.
Make GASF Great Again!

Postby Iconoclast » April 3rd, 2017, 3:12 pm

GR82BACANE wrote:I don't really care who wins. Just hope it is a good close game.

I'm not worried about Weeks mauling Gonzaga the way he did Oregon, but I don't know if Gonzaga can control Jackson, who was just hitting everything on Saturday.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » April 3rd, 2017, 3:13 pm

Iconoclast wrote:Did you watch the games Saturday? Bell, after the game, apologized to the fans for letting them down by not boxing out twice. It's nice to see him take responsibility and not point fingers, but sheesh guy, you are 21, you are human. Don't blame yourself for the loss. Enjoy the fact that you got to play in a final four game.

I didn't see that one, but he sounds like a guy with his head on straight.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Turnover Chain

Postby GR82BACANE » April 4th, 2017, 6:55 am

ACC has now won 7 of the past 17 tourney titles. Add in 2 more teams that have won it that have joined the league since winning it Syracuse and Louisville.

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » April 4th, 2017, 7:36 am

GR82BACANE wrote:ACC has now won 7 of the past 17 tourney titles. Add in 2 more teams that have won it that have joined the league since winning it Syracuse and Louisville.

ACC!....ACC!....ACC!....

:D
God, Country, Notre Dame

Postby Iconoclast » April 4th, 2017, 11:59 am

Well, we got a close game. I really thought Gonzaga was the better team. They seemed to have the more balanced offense and their defense was great. But the low post offense really was terrible for them. They got the shots they wanted, just couldn't convert.

The other takeaway was the number of fouls they called in the second half. The refs really were terrible. Just calling everything. As the announcers said, let the stars play. There was just no flow. The refs need to be consistent, and I think they were within each half, but not from half to half. They called it looser in the first. They needed to do that in the second half as well.
Make GASF Great Again!

Return to NCAA Hoops