Register

Sad state of affairs in college basketball

Come talk a little college round-ball.
The Postmaster General

Sad state of affairs in college basketball

Postby Dubby » February 26th, 2018, 6:24 pm

The latest scandal is the worse scandal in college basketball since the point shaving scandal in the 1950's. The further crime it appears the UNC, Duke, Mich St are going to get away with playing players on the FBI list.

This is utter joke that big programs appear to be able to skit the rules

What worse was listening to Radio DJ's on sports talk advocating nothing have been done wrong and these kids deserve compensation for playing college basketball :roll:

Hearing LOUDMOUTH LaVar Ball youngest son saying guys with pro career in their future shouldn't have to attend HS. :roll: Now I see why daddy dearest pulled him of out of HS to play overseas.

This is one of the first time in forever I'm not looking forward to March madness

I'm at the point I just don't care anymore. Let them go from AAU to NBA which sucks now with guys jacking up threes, playing no defense, not moving without the basketball and the league is dominating by a couple of teams :roll:

The AAU is killing both HS and college basketball as this is where the cheating starts for the stars. :roll:
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Re: Sad state of affairs in college basketball

Postby *YNC* MikeTheTiger » February 27th, 2018, 12:24 pm

The current system is clearly not working. I think they need to go to something more like they have in place for college baseball. Don't tie college eligibility to whether or not a player is in the draft. Just let everyone be draft eligible, including high school seniors. Then, if the player isn't drafted or isn't drafted as high as they would like, they can go to college or return to college. The only restriction is they can't sign with an agent if they want the option to go to or stay in college. That won't eliminate the cheating related to agents and apparel companies, but it will reduce the incentive on the player's part.

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » February 27th, 2018, 1:48 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:The current system is clearly not working. I think they need to go to something more like they have in place for college baseball. Don't tie college eligibility to whether or not a player is in the draft. Just let everyone be draft eligible, including high school seniors. Then, if the player isn't drafted or isn't drafted as high as they would like, they can go to college or return to college. The only restriction is they can't sign with an agent if they want the option to go to or stay in college. That won't eliminate the cheating related to agents and apparel companies, but it will reduce the incentive on the player's part.

Agreed

I'm all for age limit and let them go play in the NBA G-League if they don't want college

If they go to college they must commit for two years

HS to NBA is not the answer the league already sucks enough as it is

I still have my list of the dozens and dozens of HS who washed or never amounted to much of anything after they got there.

Despite what mediocre career a couple of them had. There only couple of stars who made it. That doesn't justify the many that never did.

The AAU has gotten so bad with HS stars you have many like LaVar Ball youngest saying they don't need HS. His oldest son had the worse FG and FT percentages of top 5 pick. Yet his one and done really prepared him for prime time :roll:

Its an all around mess. Inner city schools in Chicago can't hardly field 20-30 kids for football. No baseball programs anymore or just a couple. While 100's come out for basketball.
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » March 19th, 2018, 10:36 am

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:The current system is clearly not working. I think they need to go to something more like they have in place for college baseball. Don't tie college eligibility to whether or not a player is in the draft. Just let everyone be draft eligible, including high school seniors. Then, if the player isn't drafted or isn't drafted as high as they would like, they can go to college or return to college. The only restriction is they can't sign with an agent if they want the option to go to or stay in college. That won't eliminate the cheating related to agents and apparel companies, but it will reduce the incentive on the player's part.

That would address the issue the players have with respect to having to play one year in college. However it doesn't address the cheating that is going on with respect to shoe companies and agents and coaches paying for players. If a player isn't drafted as high as he would like, then he will still go to college and the illegal paying of players will still go on.
Make GASF Great Again!

Postby Iconoclast » March 19th, 2018, 10:38 am

Dubby wrote:The latest scandal is the worse scandal in college basketball since the point shaving scandal in the 1950's. The further crime it appears the UNC, Duke, Mich St are going to get away with playing players on the FBI list.

I hadn't heard about those schools being caught in this. And where is Kansas in this? They are the flagship Adidas school. Adidas was the one that was completely out of control. When is Bill Self and Kansas going down? There is no way that they aren't involved. Every one and done school is involved in this.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby *YNC* MikeTheTiger » March 20th, 2018, 10:56 am

Iconoclast wrote:That would address the issue the players have with respect to having to play one year in college. However it doesn't address the cheating that is going on with respect to shoe companies and agents and coaches paying for players. If a player isn't drafted as high as he would like, then he will still go to college and the illegal paying of players will still go on.

The two are interrelated, IMO. Most of the players caught up in the shoe company and agent deals are the one-and-dones anyway. The players that want to get paid, can just go ahead and submit for the draft and go play in the NBA or the G-League.

Postby Iconoclast » March 20th, 2018, 4:16 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:
The two are interrelated, IMO. Most of the players caught up in the shoe company and agent deals are the one-and-dones anyway. The players that want to get paid, can just go ahead and submit for the draft and go play in the NBA or the G-League.

I agree that the two are interrelated to a degree. But I am not convinced that pay for play doesn't occur even with lessor players. I mean, Auburn for example was caught up in the scandal and how many one and done player have they had? That leads to my next question. It's clear that one and done players were more likely to be targeted with money, so why haven't other traditional one and done schools not been caught up in this so far? Kansas, North Carolina, Kentucky, I would think all of those schools could be involved in this. I wonder if the sandman is coming or if somehow, they weren't involved?
Make GASF Great Again!

Return to NCAA Hoops