Register

Anyway else play slow-pitch softball?

Come on in to talk about everything from the LLWS to the CWS to which conference is the best in softball this year.
Annoyingly Lucid and Cogent

Anyway else play slow-pitch softball?

Postby red cavalier » August 2nd, 2013, 11:38 pm

I've been playing since Fall of 2008. I currently play/manage a competitive team for Sunday Night COED and fill-in regularly for a Thursday night Men's Church league and another COED team on Friday nights.

The Artist FKA SECRules

Re: Anyway else play slow-pitch softball?

Postby MikeTheTiger » August 3rd, 2013, 8:10 am

red cavalier wrote:I've been playing since Fall of 2008. I currently play/manage a competitive team for Sunday Night COED and fill-in regularly for a Thursday night Men's Church league and another COED team on Friday nights.

Growing up, we spent our summers on the softball fields. My parents, my sister and I all played and we were there generally from 3:00 or 4:00 until 10:00 or so. I've played off and on as an adult but it's been a few years since I last played.

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » August 3rd, 2013, 8:24 am

I played as extra exercise when I was in the Navy, when ever possible. But I haven't played since I retired.

Since I retired I spent 3 years as an umpire for slow pitch.
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

Postby red cavalier » August 4th, 2013, 8:01 am

Umpiring has to be the best part-time gig out there. Around here, Slow-Pitch umps get paid in cash. Baseball umps get paid more but it also comes as a check and a W2 at the end of the year.

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » August 4th, 2013, 8:20 am

red cavalier wrote:Umpiring has to be the best part-time gig out there. Around here, Slow-Pitch umps get paid in cash. Baseball umps get paid more but it also comes as a check and a W2 at the end of the year.

Yeah, it was good for a while.

But I stopped doing it because the Coaches were a bunch of bi#$%y little girls, and I got sick of having to defend my calls, etc. They acted like I had a vested interest in who won/lost (which I didn't.) There was hardly a game that went by where I didn't have to answer to the head of umpires about the calls I made in a game.

It just got to a point where I dreaded going to do a game, so I thought "Screw it, it just isn't worth the $20 per game (that I got paid.) " Plus that $20 had to pay for my transportation to the fields, which was probably almost half of that money.
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

Postby red cavalier » August 4th, 2013, 6:37 pm

I had a mom heckle me at a youth baseball game I umpired earlier this year. The best part was that as an umpire, you know when you've made a bad or an iffy call; this lady wanted was upset about a call that was a no doubter

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » August 5th, 2013, 2:47 pm

I used to play but after I went to b-school, I stopped and never took it back up. My hand eye coordination is so off now, that I would be terrible.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

Postby AlbertPhilp » August 12th, 2013, 8:06 am

I have just started learning slow-pitch softball. It feels just awesome to play it. Now as I ave developed interest I am planning to buy some hot slowpitch softball bats. :)

Return to Amateur Baseball and Softball