Print Page | Close Window

Wikipedia never ceases to amaze me

Printed from: GASF Message Board
Topic URL: http://www.gasf.com/comm/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49497
Printed on: 11/15/2018

Topic:


Topic author: observer50
Subject: Wikipedia never ceases to amaze me
Posted on: 07/23/2012 16:42:36
Message:

What inspires people to right "articles" on topics they know nothing about?

The latest thing I've seen? History of the AP poll?

quote:
The AP college football poll has a long history. The news media began running their own polls of sports writers to determine who was, by popular opinion, the best football team in the country at the end of the season. One of the earliest such polls was the AP College Football Poll, first run in 1934[2][dead link] (compiled and organized by Charles Woodroof, former SEC Assistant Director of Media Relations) and then continuously from 1936.


Charles Woodroof? Why is he in other history I've read about the AP poll?

Replies:


Reply author: Dubby
Replied on: 07/23/2012 19:11:17
Message:

Wikipedia is worthless as far as I'm concerned


Reply author: VOL^
Replied on: 07/23/2012 20:57:54
Message:

quote:
Originally posted by observer50

What inspires people to right "articles" on topics they know nothing about?

The latest thing I've seen? History of the AP poll?

quote:
The AP college football poll has a long history. The news media began running their own polls of sports writers to determine who was, by popular opinion, the best football team in the country at the end of the season. One of the earliest such polls was the AP College Football Poll, first run in 1934[2][dead link] (compiled and organized by Charles Woodroof, former SEC Assistant Director of Media Relations) and then continuously from 1936.


Charles Woodroof? Why is he in other history I've read about the AP poll?



I never knew a Charles Woodroof.

I did, however, know the late great Coach Bob WoodrUFF.

He started at UT on both sides of the line in the 30s. He later served as UT's athletic director after about 10 years in that position at Florida. It was there he made the acquaintance of a young man by the name of Doug Dickey, whom he later hired him as UT's coach in the 60s. (Incorrectly, I should add. He should have hired Majors.)

Never a kinder gentler man ever lived. If memory serves, he was from Savannah, GA. (Don't put that part on Wikipedia. I could be wrong.)

He was a great VFL.


Reply author: observer50
Replied on: 07/23/2012 22:53:43
Message:

quote:
Originally posted by VOL^

quote:
Originally posted by observer50

What inspires people to right "articles" on topics they know nothing about?

The latest thing I've seen? History of the AP poll?

quote:
The AP college football poll has a long history. The news media began running their own polls of sports writers to determine who was, by popular opinion, the best football team in the country at the end of the season. One of the earliest such polls was the AP College Football Poll, first run in 1934[2][dead link] (compiled and organized by Charles Woodroof, former SEC Assistant Director of Media Relations) and then continuously from 1936.


Charles Woodroof? Why is he in other history I've read about the AP poll?



I never knew a Charles Woodroof.

I did, however, know the late great Coach Bob WoodrUFF.

He started at UT on both sides of the line in the 30s. He later served as UT's athletic director after about 10 years in that position at Florida. It was there he made the acquaintance of a young man by the name of Doug Dickey, whom he later hired him as UT's coach in the 60s. (Incorrectly, I should add. He should have hired Majors.)

Never a kinder gentler man ever lived. If memory serves, he was from Savannah, GA. (Don't put that part on Wikipedia. I could be wrong.)

He was a great VFL.






Charles Woodruff did stats for the SEC at one point. He developed a point system that gave his version of an "All-Time AP Poll", which he never could get correct (small wonder the SEC's stats are a train wreck). At the bottom of said chart, they have a reference about him developing the AP poll chart, which someone has apparently thought read that he was the one who created the AP poll. With wikipedia, all you need is some idea and can credit it to some sort, no matter how vaguely and you have an "article".


It cracks me up what gets into these articles some times. Clearly written by people with no clue. Who feels confident enough to write about something they much know they know nothing about?

I remember a recent conversation I had where someone insisted I was wrong about who administers cfbdatawarehouse. I said, in no uncertain terms, that Tex Noel does not administer the site. I've conversed with Tex for years and know he doesn't. However the guy posts a wiki article that say he does and that I'm wrong. Let's see. I know the guy and you have some article referencing something that doesn't even say what they claim it does. Who do you trust?


Reply author: Dubby
Replied on: 07/23/2012 23:03:02
Message:

quote:
Originally posted by observer50



Charles Woodruff did stats for the SEC at one point. He developed a point system that gave his version of an "All-Time AP Poll", which he never could get correct (small wonder the SEC's stats are a train wreck). At the bottom of said chart, they have a reference about him developing the AP poll chart, which someone has apparently thought read that he was the one who created the AP poll. With wikipedia, all you need is some idea and can credit it to some sort, no matter how vaguely and you have an "article".


It cracks me up what gets into these articles some times. Clearly written by people with no clue. Who feels confident enough to write about something they much know they know nothing about?

I remember a recent conversation I had where someone insisted I was wrong about who administers cfbdatawarehouse. I said, in no uncertain terms, that Tex Noel does not administer the site. I've conversed with Tex for years and know he doesn't. However the guy posts a wiki article that say he does and that I'm wrong. Let's see. I know the guy and you have some article referencing something that doesn't even say what they claim it does. Who do you trust?



Typical Wiki crap

I've battled with their mods on numerous times they've been wrong data I found their that was downright appalling.

My favorite was them declaring Sinbad dead. He comes on TV saying despite rumors to contrary he's still alive. The very next day Wiki is reporting him dead again.

How anyone could use Wiki as factual site is beyond me.


Reply author: observer50
Replied on: 08/13/2012 22:38:50
Message:

Yeah, I'm real high on that article on wikipedia regarding the AP Poll.

Didn't even bother to find out who created it. Seems to me that's step 1.


Reply author: Dubby
Replied on: 08/13/2012 23:57:31
Message:

quote:
Originally posted by observer50

Yeah, I'm real high on that article on wikipedia regarding the AP Poll.

Didn't even bother to find out who created it. Seems to me that's step 1.



I said it before

quote:
Originally posted by Dubby

Wikipedia is worthless as far as I'm concerned



I stand by it.


Reply author: GatorTeeth
Replied on: 08/14/2012 00:54:41
Message:

I didn't make any comment about the Wiki history of the AP poll. I just posted the link as a further point of information.

I'm obviously not as hard on the media as most of you guys. Probably because of the years I worked among all those homers and hacks.

I'm just wondering if Dubby considers ANY member of the 4th estate NOT a hack? I would say writers who agree with his point of view on any subject are safe from the "Wrath of the Dubber". However, if you write pieces with which he is in disagreement you are a prime candidate for membership in the DH&HC - the Dubby Homer & Hack Club....And the club apparantly grows daily.


Reply author: observer50
Replied on: 08/14/2012 06:11:16
Message:

quote:
Originally posted by GatorTeeth

I didn't make any comment about the Wiki history of the AP poll. I just posted the link as a further point of information.

I'm obviously not as hard on the media as most of you guys. Probably because of the years I worked among all those homers and hacks.

I'm just wondering if Dubby considers ANY member of the 4th estate NOT a hack? I would say writers who agree with his point of view on any subject are safe from the "Wrath of the Dubber". However, if you write pieces with which he is in disagreement you are a prime candidate for membership in the DH&HC - the Dubby Homer & Hack Club....And the club apparantly grows daily.



I found it ironic you posted a page that I'd railed on recently. Really, that page is worth crap, and I told you why.


GASF Message Board : http://www.gasf.com/comm/

© 2003 - 20010 GASF.com

Close Window